Divide the grid into N different pentominoes. (Usually N = 12)
(Example from WPC 2018 IB, N = 4)
- Pentomino Puddles: This name is often given when there are multiple grids to dissect.
- Sometimes reflections are not allowed.
- Dissected pentominoes contain a given set of symbols.
- Given letters are contained in pentominoes designated by that letter.
History of the puzzle
Fitting 12 pentominoes and a 2x2 square into an 8x8 square was the first recorded pentomino puzzle, published by Henry Ernest Dudeney (USA) in 1907. The name pentomino was given by Solomon Golomb in 1953.
This puzzle is the special version of a more general classification, dissection puzzles.
Appearances in the WPC
- WPC 2018/Round 8 (Pentomino Division) by Jiří Hrdina
- WPC 2018/Individual Playoffs (unused) by Jiří Hrdina
- WPC 2017/Round 12 by Amit Sowani
- WPC 2016/Round 14 (part of a Permaculture hybrid) by Matúš Demiger