The grid is partitioned into regions of two square cells each (note that only region borders are drawn). Put "positive" (+) and "negative" (–) symbols into some cells, at most one symbol per cell, such that each region either has two symbols or no symbols at all. Adjacent cells (even within a region) cannot contain the same symbol.
The numbers above and to the left of the grid indicate the exact number of symbols of the specified type that must be placed in each column or row, respectively. If a number is not given, there might be any number of symbols of the specified type.
(Rules and example from PGP IB)
History of the puzzle
Invented by Jaroslav Müller (Czech Rep.). First appeared on WPC 2001/Part 13. The round consisted of 6 Magnets puzzles.
Invented by Silke Berendes (Germany) in 2010. First appeared on Logic Masters 2010 Qualifier.
Fill the grid with neutral (shaded) and magnetic plates. Each magnetic plate has two poles, represented by + and − signs. Poles of different types that are part of different plates cannot be horizontally or vertically adjacent. The numbers indicate how many poles of the corresponding type appear in the respective row or column.
(Rules and example from WPC 2019 IB)
First appeared on WPC 2019/Round 8, a "Twilight" round. The puzzle was by Rainer Biegler.
Apply normal Magnets rules. Plates with given symbols can either be shaded or keep their poles. Their polarity cannot be reversed.
(Rules (modified) and example from WPC 2019 IB)
Appearances in the past WPCs
- WPC 2019/Round 2 (Anti Magnets) by Silke Berendes
- WPC 2019/Round 8 (Magnets, Twilight Magnets) by Rainer Biegler
- WPC 2019/Round 9 by Ulrich Voigt
- WPC 2019/World Cup Round 3 by by Gabi Penn-Karras
- WPC 2019/World Cup Playoffs by Gabi Penn-Karras
- WPC 2018/Round 2 by Jiří Hrdina
- WPC 2017/Round 3 by Amit Sowani and Rajesh Kumar
- WPC 2017/Round 10 ("Optimizer") by Prasanna Seshadri
- WPC 2016/Round 9 by Matúš Demiger
- WPC 2015/Round 2
- WPC 2015/Round 5 (Coral Magnets)
- WPC 2015/Round 12
- WPC 2014/Round 3
- WPC 2014/Round 10 (Anti Magnets)
- WPC 2013/Part 4
- WPC 2012/Part 3 (Discharged Magnets)
- WPC 2010/Part 13 (Unusual Magnet)