Assemble the pieces into the given shape.
This is a broad classification of puzzles rather than a single type. Puzzles that fall under this category include:
- Pentomino Division
- Or, more generally, any polyomino dissection puzzles
- 3D polyomino puzzles like the Soma cube
and many more.
The examples from WPCs include:
- LITS Division from WPC 2017/Round 17: Divide the grid into tetrominoes of the shape L, I, T or S. They will be used an equal amount of times.
- 3D Division from WPC 2017/Round 17: 3D polyomino puzzle. Give which polyomino is needed to assemble the target shape.
- Tetromino from WPC 2016/Round 8: Divide the grid into 5 tetrominoes.
History of the puzzle
At least dates back to the 3rd century BCE. The first mention of this type of puzzle comes from Plato.