World Puzzle Championship 2017 was held in Bengaluru, India. The competition took place between 19th and 21st October. The individual winner was Ken Endo (Japan). The team winner was the team of Japan (Ken Endo, Kota Morinishi, Tomoya Kimura, Taro Arimatsu).
The championship was directed by the Logic Masters India team. The puzzle authors were Amit Sowani, Rohan Rao, Prasanna Seshadri, Deb Mohanty, Rakesh Rai, Rajesh Kumar, Ashish Kumar, and Swaroop Guggilam. Additionally, the Puzzle Innovation Contest was held, looking for new puzzle ideas for the competition. Authors whose ideas showed up in the competition were Nikola Živanović (Serbia), Anurag Sahay (India), Ivan Koswara (Indonesia), Dan Adams (USA), Lại Văn Đức Thịnh (Vietnam), and Rauno Pärnits (Estonia).
Scoring and Bonuses
- Points will be awarded only for fully and correctly solved puzzles. In general, there is no partial points unless it is stated otherwise in the round’s note.
- In individual rounds, the bonus points for a round for each full remaining minute will be awarded to any competitor who correctly solves all the puzzles in the round.
- In team rounds, the bonus points for a round for each full remaining minute will be awarded to any team who correctly solves all the puzzles in the round.
- At the judge’s discretion, 0.8x bonus, rounded to the closest integer, will be awarded in the case of a single minor mistake in no more than one Puzzle. A minor mistake is considered as at most two incorrectly represented cells in at most one of the Puzzles. Any variance from this is noted in individual round notes.
Bonuses for individual rounds were 5 points (for R21) or 10 points (except for R21) per minute. Bonuses for team rounds were 40 points per minute.
There were no playoffs.
Names of many of the rounds are based on monthly contests that had been held on Logic Masters India in the past. See round articles for details.
- Round 1 Individual: Road To Bangalore
- Round 2 Individual: Indian Puzzle Land
- Round 3 Individual: Evergreens
- Round 4 Individual: Twist
- Round 5 Individual: Hexed And Remixed
- Round 6 Individual: TVC
- Round 7 Team: Deception
- Round 8 Team: Kashmir Carpet
- Round 12 Individual: 123 GO
- Round 13 Individual: No Numbers
- Round 14 Individual: Fillomino-Fillia
- Round 15 Team: Loop Pool
- Round 16 Team: Sampler Platter